Grades 9th – 12th
Spanish I is for 9th-12 grade students. The class will cover listening, speaking, reading and writing with the overall emphasis being on speaking and listening. Class participation is mandatory and crucial for success. Students will read children’s books in Spanish. Students will sing to assist in learning new vocabulary and grammar. Students will watch children’s
shows in Spanish to hear native speakers communicate. Students will read and memorize scripture in Spanish. Students will learn colloquial expressions along with common daily vocabulary.
While many students will take this class to fulfill a language requirement, please note that students will be expected to do 45 minutes to one hour worth of work per school day at home for success in this class. Daily review of all vocabulary and grammar is critical for progress.
Students are required to attend a once per week student led group meeting either in person or via video call where students will practice speaking and listening to Spanish.
This class is worth one credit.
- Easy Spanish Step by Step by Bregstein, Barbara
ISBN-13: 978-0071463386 (consumable, one per student)
- Mastering Spanish Vocabulary by Navarro, José María
ISBN-13: 978-1438071558 (non-consumable)
- Easy Spanish Reader by Tardy, William T.
ISBN-13: 978-0071850193 (non-consumable)
- La Biblia para principiantes bilingüe: Historias bíblicas para niños (Bilingual Beginners Bible)
ISBN-13: 978-0829767438 (non-consumable)
- Easy Spanish Phrase Book by Loaeza, Pablo García
ISBN-13: 978-0486499055 (non-consumable)
- One medium sized 3-ring binder
- 3-hole punched, college ruled notebook paper
- 4 or 5 dividers
- Writing implements (sharpened pencils with erasers or pens)
- Colored pens
- 3×5 cards