Intro to Literature
Grades 7th – 9th
This 30 week course in designed for middle school students as an introduction to literary analysis. By reading and discussing literature and poetry, your student will become a thoughtful reader, capable of analyzing not just the plot and characters of a story, but the underlying message as well. Through classroom conversation we will examine authors and their time periods, the novels they have written, and their relevance to us today.
Throughout the course we will read a variety of genres. Additionally, students will create a literary terms reference book, a literature response journal, and a collection of poetry. There will be a project and a presentation to complete for the book of their choice. Students will be expected to complete readings as assigned and participate in class discussions. This class is worth 1 credit.
- The Sword in the Stone by T. H. White
- The True Confessions of Charlotte Doyle by Avi
- The Trumpeter of Krakow by Kelly
- The Man Who Was Thursday by G. K. Chesterton
- Okay For Now by Gary Schmidt
- The Hound of the Baskervilles by Arthur Conan Doyle
- I Am Malala by Malala Yousafzai
- Thirty Nine Steps by John Buchan
- 1.5″ binder or larger
- 8 dividers with pockets
- Pens and/or pencils
- Loose leaf paper