Grades 9th – 12th
8th grade available upon teacher approval.
This elementary French class is suited to students in 9th – 12th grade (7th & 8th grades with special permission). The class covers all four-language skills—listening, speaking, reading and writing—with the emphasis being on oral communication and listening comprehension. Memorization of French idioms and phrases, reading aloud, singing, recitation of memorized vocabulary and phrases and listening and speaking exercises are an essential part of the class. About 10 minutes of each class is also devoted to the history of the French people and the French language. Student interaction and participation is mandatory in this class. Group activities, student presentations, and extemporaneous speaking are foundational to this approach to language acquisition.
The goal of this French language course is to equip students to communicate in basic French, to become familiar with French history and culture, and to learn French phrases, idioms, vocabulary, and grammar as well as Bible verses.
This course is designed for the student who is seriously interested in speaking and understanding the French language and as well as exploring French history and culture. Please do not sign up for this course if you are simply trying to fulfill a language requirement. Students will need to study and practice French on their own 30 to 45 minutes each day as well as speak French before an audience of their peers and instructor and later before a larger CEC audience. This is a highly interactive class and requires each student’s active participation and dedication to learning. Besides attending class each week and completing assignments, there are two additional requirements. Once a week, each student must attend and actively participate in a mandatory one hour, student-led video call or in-person meeting to practice speaking and listening to French. At the end of the year, the French class will present—in French—a program before an audience of parents, peers, and others in the CEC Community. This class is worth 1 credit.
- Mastering French Vocabulary, A Thematic Approach, With MP3 CD, Wolfgang Fischer and Anne-Marie Le Plouhinec, Barron’s, 2010, ISBN: 978-1-4380-7153-4
- Easy French STEP-BY-STEP, Myrna Bell Rochester, McGraw-Hill Publishing, 2009 ISBN: 978-0-07-145387-5
- Le Petit Prince/The Little Prince, (French/English Bilingual Book with audio CD), Antoine de St. Exupéry, OMILIA Languages, 2011, Version 1.1, (www.omilialanguages.com)
- Quick Study French Verbs; Liliane Arnet, www.quickstudy.com ISBN 978-157222907-5
- The New Testament/Le Nouveau Testament (Bilingual English Good News/French français courant Edition), Canadian Bible Society, ISBN: 978-0-88834-559-2, www.biblesociety.ca, 800-661-7437
- One medium sized 3-ring binder
- 3-hole punched, college ruled notebook paper
- 4 – 5 dividers
- Blue/black pen and a red or other bright color pen for grading